Monday, July 28, 2014

Finishing Well

Not many people want to talk about resigning a position. No one really wants to think about the process. In our minds, we think we have a formulated plan to leave. Today, I want to chat just a bit about leaving well. As a professional teacher and then as a youth and children's pastor I have navigated this process a few times in my career. The circumstances surrounding my transitioning were all different. There was one common thought that ruled my mind during those times and it is a thought that many forget about when faced with a transition either difficult or easy.  The thought is simply this. AM I FINISHING WELL. 

Scripture teaches us to run the race until the end. Most people will point out that the scripture is taking about life in general, but I want you to follow me with this thought. The periods of time in our life are like segments of a multi-leg race. If you do well in one station of the race and then poorly in the next it directly impacts how you begin the next section. That brings me to my point.

You begin the next season of your life or job like you finished the last one. 

I have many friends in ministry that have made a near fatal mistake of leaving a position because of anger. They leave in a violent uproar trying to inflict mass damage as they leave. What they do not realize is that when they arrive, if they arrive at another position, they will have to work through that situation again. I have worked for some great men of God. I have worked for seasoned pastor's and leaders and administrators. I have gleaned many what to do's in ministry and even more what not to do's in ministry. One thing remains I am not working for them. I am working for God and God has allowed me to be where I am and only he decides who I am.

That being said; I want you to understand that my career has had many twists and turns. I have experienced harshness, discrimination, bitterness, envy, and many other negative things from the mouths and actions of leaders. It is in those times where many get frustrated and enraged and then explode and leave a position. That is precisely what the enemy wants you to do. There has been a scripture that ruled my actions as a leader and teacher. Col 3:23 Do everything that you do as if you are doing it for God and not to please man. If you make this the keystone of your life, you will find success even in the most difficult circumstances. The mistake that so many make is undermining authority that God has placed over us for whatever timeframe he has us in at that moment. I heard recently that many time God offends our mind in order to reveal the condition of our heart. I find that to be true on so many levels. It is easy to get offended when you are corrected or something is scrutinized. But, examine your response and place it next to scripture.

So how do you finish well?

1. ALWAYS BRING HONOR TO THE LEADER/MAN OF GOD. 
I say this because most individuals who leave have a falling out or some sort of disagreement with the leader. They then try to gain support by trashing the leaders decision to disagree with them. It becomes easy then to be disgruntled and disillusioned. Then, absolutely everything the leader does never seems to measure up to your expectations. Always bring honor to the leader/man of God. In doing so, you will be finishing well. God can work things out a lot better and faster than you can. You can voice your disapproval or question the decision with the leader that made it. Not with your friends and supporters and especially not on social media. If you begin slandering and back biting your leader, you are sinning. Your leader may be completely in the wrong but if you start gossiping or slandering in any way you are just as guilty. Understand that God holds us to a higher standard as leaders. Here is one more thing that will help you. RESPECT IS GIVEN TRUST IS EARNED. Be respectful to everyone. Show respect for them as a creation of God and as a leader that God has placed there. It doesn't matter what your opinion might be of the leader and quite frankly it doesn't matter what your opinion is of the leader.  Don't speak ill of your leader. Do your best to speak of them in a positive light.

2. Develop a success plan. 
Most transitions are awkward at best. The development of a transition or success plan will help with the awkwardness. Write down and plot out what you do. Most people coming into a position will look at the way things were done previously and then mirror them to some extent and elaborate on them and make them their own. This is another area that can reveal the attitude of your heart. If you are unwilling to leave notes and plans for the next individual, why were you doing that job in the first place? Whose glory were your seeking your own or Gods? That may sound harsh, but especially in ministry we have to understand that we are in a constant progression of what God is wanting. If we are insecure in ourselves to the point of sticking it to another servant of God how can that be an attitude that God would have? Leaving a success plan shows that you truly do want the person and place to succeed and continue own to even more growth and health. Work with diligence to have things set up for the next person. EVEN IF YOU ARE ANGRY OR DISGRUNTLED. It sounds easier than it is, but if you do that even in those times you will find yourself letting go of your anger because you get back in touch with the real reason why you do what you do.

3. Pray
I know it sounds cliche but it is the most important thing you can do. Prayer will bring to light so many things. It can give you peace in your heart when you are troubled. It can ease anger. It can change perspective. Pray for your leader. Pray for your family and those that have connected with you as you have served. Pray for the future and for the next person that comes to be able to do more than you.

4. Don't laugh at failure. 
If you drive and see an accident on the other side of the highway, what is the normal response? You rubberneck to try to see what happened. In transition, you can do the same thing. Be careful not to rejoice in the suffering of others. There will be times you will see your replacement fail. Satan's quick attack is then to make you become prideful and fall prey to the attitude of they deserved it. I cannot tell you how devastating this is. I have watched as colleagues in ministry and in education laugh as their program failed. Then they became enraged at me because I suggested that perhaps if the predecessor had spent a little more time and invested a bit more in the transition it would not have failed. Our main goal should be to develop ministries  and positions that will last and be there and flourishing long after we are gone and forgotten about.

These four things have helped me so much as I have transitioned. Have I done them all with superior skill? Nope. Have I totally blew it in some? Yep. But, the desire of my heart is to please the Lord and bring honor to the man of God. I can do that. I can do that in the things I do and say. I can do that by the things I DON'T SAY as well. Finish well my friends. Please God in all you do. God Bless




No comments:

Post a Comment