Monday, July 21, 2014

Just A Matter Of Time

It is amazing to me how busy things can get in my life. Between being a husband, father, and minister my calendar can look like a schematic to an aircraft carrier on some days. But, I am still able to accomplish the tasks that need to be done. As I talk with people, I hear about the busyness of their lives and how they cannot possibly add one more thing like going to church or volunteering to their schedule. I watch as parents become slaves to a students social schedule. It seems their is never any time just to pause and listen.

When we read scripture, if you have found the time to do that, we find a man named David. He was called a man after God's own heart. He was by no means perfect by the worlds standards but something made him worthy of that title. It was not his good looks or his skill on the battlefield that held him in high regard with the most high. It was not his full social calendar that brought him such clout with the heavenly father. It was one thing. His desire to be alone with God away from the noise of the world, thats what made him stand above the rest. He writes Psalms 91 with that in mind. 

Psalm 91

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.
We have to come to the realization that a busy schedule does not mean a successful life. It means that we have a busy life. There is extreme value in asking yourself the question Is what I am doing bringing glory to God or separating me from him by taking another chunk of my time?

The enemy attacks in many ways. As we study scripture, you see a pattern. God blesses, we are content, we become discontent, Satan creates busyness, we lose our focus, Satan destroys our relationship with God.

We must look at our life and understand that God wants our time. The realm of time does not apply to God. He will justify the time that we spend with him if we allow him to. When we allow him to order our time, we will find that we have more time to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment