Tuesday, March 17, 2015

No Luck Required

Most of us have heard people say "I was lucky" or "good luck". It is a pretty common saying. Not to long ago I was actually listening to a group of people talk about the certainty of heaven and one of them said "with God's help and a little luck we'll make it". I chuckled and got a strange look from the group of people. I looked at them and said I don't need luck to know for certain that I will be in heaven when my time here is done. Jesus Christ is a sure thing not a random series of events acted upon by an outside force.

I don't want to sound arrogant or self-righteous. I get what the guy was saying but it started a thought in my head. How many people feel like their relationship with God or it's failure hinges on one mess up or failure. To have that sort  of view is so against what we read in scripture about the character and nature of God. Look at the disciples. Peter outright denied Jesus just like he was told he was going to do. Paul was constantly in rebuke and teaching mode but was quick to speak of God's mercy.

I have always said I don't believe in luck. I think random things happen and people benefit from them or are effected negatively by them. What seems so foreign to me is that when it works for us, we call it luck. When it fails for us we call it fate or life. When does the Lord actually get credit for doing special things for his people. The question then becomes, what about those random things that just seem to happen? Every good and perfect thing comes from above. So, if you nail that last second 3 pt shot thank God for it. If you miss it just roll with it and don't blame God for your lack of aim. If you win that election thank God for it. If you lose, thank God for the opportunity that is coming because he has great things planned for you.

No offense to Saint Patrick or slighting the four leaf clover, but luck is not required to walk with certainty with Jesus Christ. It is a simple matter of your heart. If you accept his free gift to you, salvation is there. His grace and mercy are with you every step of the way. From now until eternity he is there guiding you and loving you.

Happy Saint Patricks Day

No comments:

Post a Comment